Virgin Media is a provider of telephone, television and internet services in the UK. They operate services using both BT's infrastructure (both LLU and non-LLU) and their own cable network.
- Virgin Broadband
- Virgin Mobile (a virtual network on Everything Everywhere)
- London Underground Wifi
"We had tried to encourage something that would be clearer for industry and give consumers improved transparency. However, these principles remain open to misinterpretation and potential exploitation so, while we welcome efforts to reach a broad consensus to address potential future issues, we will be seeking greater certainty before we consider signing."
However they also said that "We have no intention of discriminating or treating data differently on the basis of who owns or publishes it".
As with the other large ISPs, Virgin blocks sites listed by the IWF and those subject to court orders. From 2006 to 2012 the system deployed for IWF blocking was known as Web Blocker. A replacement system, Web Blocker 2 for implementing both IWF and court-ordered blocks was obtained for "a six figure sum" in 2011 with ongoing support costing a "five figure sum" annually.
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/06/virgin-media-takeover-john-malone-liberty-global Virgin Media bought for £15bn by Liberty Global], Guardian, 2013-02-06
- Virgin and mobile networks snub net neutrality pledge | News | PC Pro
- Why are some websites not available through Virgin Media?
- Cartier vs Sky 2014
- Switched on Families: tackling the big issues when it comes to kids and the web, Virgin Media, 2014-02-28
- Virgin Media adds network level parental controls to help keep kids safe online, Think Broadband, 2014-02-28