Clare Short was MP (Independent Labour) for Birmingham, Ladywood. Changed party from Labour on 20 Oct 2006 (TheyWorkForYou.com). Stood down in 2010.
Spoken to by at least one ORG supporter.
- I have written to Peter Mandelson to say that he should note how much hostility there is to his proposals. I will bear in mind your views when the Bill comes to the House of commons.
Add details here.
- 2006-02-14 - The Guardian - Labour ID card rebels
- Summary: Diane Abbott MP (Hackney North & Stoke Newington), Katy Clark MP (Ayrshire North and Arran), Jeremy Corbyn MP (Islington North), Gwyneth Dunwoody MP (Crewe & Nantwich), Mark Fisher MP (Stoke-on-Trent Central), Paul Flynn MP (Newport West), Ian Gibson MP (Norwich North), Kate Hoey MP (Vauxhall), Kelvin Hopkins MP (Luton North), Glenda Jackson MP (Hampstead & Highgate), Lynne Jones MP (Birmingham Selly Oak), John McDonnell MP (Hayes & Harlington), Robert Marshall-Andrews MP (Medway), Linda Riordan MP (Halifax), Clare Short MP (Birmingham Ladywood), Alan Simpson MP (Nottingham South), John Smith MP (Vale of Glamorgan), David Taylor MP (Leicestershire North West), Robert Wareing MP (Liverpool West Derby), Mike Wood MP (Batley & Spen)
- 2005-10-18 - BBC - ID card vote: rebel Labour MPs
- Summary: Twenty-one Labour MPs voted against the government on the introduction of ID cards, slashing the government's majority to 32. Clare Short was one of those MPs.