Volunteer meeting Thursday 22 January

If you want to get more involved with digital rights and ORG then your first stop should be a volunteer meeting, where we run through current volunteer works and dish out new tasks. Please put your name down below if you intend to attend. The next meet will be at 1830 on Thursday 22 January, at our office, which is 7th floor, 100 Grays Inn Road, London WC1X 8AL. And as usual, we'll have the IRC running (freenode.irc.net, #openrightsgroup, webchat) so that non-locals can participate. Any questions? Then email info at openrightsgroup dot org or phone +44 (0) 20 7096 1079

  • Michael Holloway
  • Tim Cowlishaw (most likely via IRC)
  • Mark Summers
  • David Durant


(Apologies for briefer-than-usual notes this time around)


  • Michael, Jim, Glyn, James, Chris, Sheila, David, Francis, Rowan, Rob, Anon.


  • Website: David can help with specs.
  • Dataloss widget: Francis happy to try and update
  • Anon to look at consultations
  • James will try and help with the one-sheets (David also knows designers)
  • Various volunteers for conferences and suggestions for where to place stalls. MH to organise workshop?
  • David to work on a spec for "ISP Policies"
  • Rob "MP ratings"
  • "Connections to other groups / remit overlap" issue to be addressed by point to other groups as part of website redesign
  • Pledges: MPs, companies, councils, universities, etc - parked
  • "Student ORG" - parked
  • Debates - Michael is working on this and would be happy to hear suggestions for speakers at future ORG talks.
  • Awards (as currently being discussed by mySociety) - will be followed-up now with a view to an end-of-year awards.


Sorry but we're going to restrict this to 30 mins so we can get to the pub and celebrate the ED switchover. Anything that's missed should be pursued on org-tech.

Progress reports

Website redesign

Michael and Sheila started working towards a redesign Summer 08. Jim has now revised the spec somewhat and made it a higher priority. We're going to build on Sheila's foundations, which were discussed at a previous meeting, but put more emphasis on rich content, a splash page and getting users taking more actions. No need to go into more detail but we'll keep you guys updated.

    • Would a hack-session be useful to sort this out/get it moving properly? (just a thought) adz 18:20, 28 January 2009 (UTC)


I've finally started using the Trac setup as a matter of routine although not yet seeing huge benefits!

    • Should 'remarks' be shown publicly? Updating tickets as projects develop doesn't seem to capture temporal progress.
    • What am I s'posed to do when a job's completed - delete the ticket? Or update it? e.g. http://www.openrightsgroup.org/cvstrac/run/tktview?tn=39,4
      • I'd suggest changing the status to closed. adz 18:18, 28 January 2009 (UTC)

Data loss widget

Well done Sam, Rowan and Casey for pushing this through, its our most popular item right now! See http://www.openrightsgroup.org/dataloss/

  • We need to periodically update this (which means adding new examples into the spreadsheet and updating the live version). Who can keep an eye on it? Will need the sysadmins to set up a cron job or some such.
    • How does it work? adz 18:19, 28 January 2009 (UTC)

Reclaim Your DNA Site

Nice one Adam, Rowan, Chris and Tim - this is almost ready to go

Consultations on the wiki

Please can we add in the following

New works

  • "One sheet" statuses: James Heaver has been slow to finish off the design so looks like we'll need to find a new designer. Is anyone else interested in designing a template? If so, best will be to come into the office one day and we'll crack it (either on the GIMP or bring a laptop). Need these done by 13 February.
  • We need to target >6 conferences to attend in 09
    • Technology conferences
    • Glyn - are you doing an ORG presentation at UKGovbarcampwebthing? If so, pls record and link me. Also, FOSDEM? I'll get something set for QCon.
    • Modern Liberty stall (Louise, Glyn (!), Michael, Adam?) on 28 February. More are welcome!
    • UKUUG Spring 2009 Conference: 24-26 March 2009, London [1]
  • "ISP Policies"
  • "MP ratings"
  • "Connections to other groups / remit overlap"
  • Pledges: MPs, companies, councils, universities, etc
  • "Student ORG"
  • Debates
  • Awards (as currently being discussed by mySociety)