An Independent Privacy and Civil Liberties Board (IPCLB) was a proposed board to replace the Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation in considering the privacy and civil liberties impact of policies, procedures, and legislation. Terms of reference were published during reading of the emergency Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill, believed to be a concession to the Liberal Democrats for their support.
During evidence to the Intelligence and Security Committee in 2014, Nick Clegg MP said he expected the board to be in place before the next election. It would likely be modelled after the US "Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board".
In his 2014 annual report, David Anderson QC responded:
- I recommend that the Government’s proposal to replace the Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation by an Independent Privacy and Civil Liberties Board be subject to the widest possible consultation, including with the parliamentary Committees which are among the principal users of the Independent Reviewer’s reports.
Section 46 of the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015, passed before the general election, creates legislation to allow the Secretary of State to create the Privacy and Civil Liberties Board. The clause was debated in December.
However, according to David Anderson in his September 2015 report, these plans have been dropped by the subsequent Conservative government.
- "I have been informed that there are no current plans to establish a PCLB, and invited instead to discuss with the Government how my own additional needs for assistance could be met at much more modest expense."
- Review of Communications Data and Interception Powers
- Independent Review of Surveillance
- Investigatory Powers Commissioner
- wikipedia: Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board (U.S.)
- Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill (contains the Terms of Reference)
- Terrorism laws watchdog issues warning over security services scrutiny, Guardian, 2014-07-17
- Home Office impact assessment, 2014-11-26
- Home office fact sheet, 2014-12-03
- New privacy and civil liberties board to look at security policy, says Nick Clegg, Guardian, 2014-10-15
- Hansard, 2014-11-11 "legislation to establish an Independent Privacy and Civil Liberties Board will be brought forward shortly"
- The Terrorism Acts in 2013, Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation, 2014-07-22
- Section 46
- Hansard, 2014-12-16
- The Terrorism Acts in 2014, GOV.UK, September 2015 (para 10.13)