Co-ordinating body exercising strategic functions across the British Government.
Digital rights interests include:
- Open Data and government transparency, including designation of organisations subject to Freedom of Information
- Open Standards
- Commercial access to government datasets
- Government IT procurement, a common source of security and privacy problems as well overspends
- Aspects of the Cyber Security Strategy
Elections and electronic voting
Responsibility for elections and democracy falls to the Cabinet Office within government. Issues such as the electoral register and online registration, use of postal voting, identity verification, trials of voting technology and potential use on electronic or online voting are within their remit.
Freedom of Information designations
See also: Government Digital Service
- Chloe Smith MP Parliamentary Secretary (Minister for the Constitution), gov.uk
- Ministerial role: Parliamentary Secretary (Minister for the Constitution), gov.uk
- The Transfer of Functions (Elections, Referendums, Third Sector and Information) Order 2016 See Article 3 Transfer of concurrently exercisable functions of the Chancellor of the Duchy to the Minister for the Cabinet Office and Schedule 1 Acts and provisions referred to in article 3(1) (i) the Freedom of Information Act 2000(9)
- The Freedom of Information (Additional Public Authorities) Order 2018, legislation.gov.uk