- 1 Blocked.org.uk Project
- 2 4chan
I have compiled a list from bits n pieces found in other posts and our today's discussion along with my proposal structure on how to work on the project. It could be possibly a candidate for the wiki.
Please comment/add/remove points.
- Supported USB/non USB mobile dongles, availability, price
o How many can be supported (power concerns)?
- Power cable specification, price
o RPi often hangs when there is not enough power.
- Memory card class (speed), size, price
o Size depends on the amount of data we want to keep before submission to "backend".
- SIM cards: price, availability, needed data volume, coverage of mobile networks.
RPi software part
Perhaps this section can host multiple architectures (PC, Mac,Android, others).
- RPi boot image
o Providing an image ready to roll RPi OS and ooni.
- OS updates (security updates)
o Since RPi is going to be 24/7 online it's quite important toassure that at least the security updates being performed. However it could cause problem with ooni version specific packages.
- Network configuration
o Automatically recognize the mobile network being used and configure accordingly. o Has general internet access (via ethernet or wifi).
ooni-probe software part
- Installation: packages and/or install script
o People should be able to install it themselves (automatic or manual). o Building by adds transparency to the whole project.
- Upgrade: would be nice to ensure that upgrade (auto, manual or both) is possible.
- Rulesets, tests, decks
o Can routinely connect to a queue service on the internet, pull done URLs to check, and send back structured data in response. o Support deployment of "Ooni Probe" tests. o Has some understanding of the various styles of blocking responses, and can extract metadata regarding the block.
ooni-backend software part
- API: ooni-backend provides an API that allows applications to interact with ooni-probe.
- Improve our blocked.org.uk tool
o Accept requests for check ups as well as blocked reports
- Publish tables of results on blocked.org.uk website, eg. sites misclassified and dates, plus current status.
- Collate results in repository
o Help other ORG activists to build their own probes and tools for testing, submitting URLs to us.
- Android app
- Mysociety help/resources
Web browser extension
- RPi: Raspberry Pi
- OS: Operating System
The spam filter won't let me add a link to a Control_of_Internet_Access_(Child_P****graphy)_Bill_2006 - maybe that's why it's an orphaned page - Sheila 15:52, 27 December 2006 (GMT)
- Code of practice for new forms of content on mobiles. This affects 3G/HSDPA services provided by mobile companies too. Vodafone's Content Control goes way above this though. Secretlondon 03:45, 20 November 2007 (UTC)
There has been some discussion about the blocking of bits of 4chan by BT, claimed to be via Cleanfeed. Wikipedia:4chan has some details and references. I cannot load any of the discussion as Vodafone block the entire site(!) but this is one of the references given. Secretlondon 03:50, 20 November 2007 (UTC)