Previously new accounts were asked to enable filters durning setup, from July 2016 all new accounts will have the filter applied automatically and will have the opportunity to switch it off the first time they access a filtered site.
From some point in 2015 existing customers (that have not explicitly requested to have it disabled) would have be asked to make a choice about filtering if they attempted to access a page unsuitable for under-13s and then at some point in 2016 any accounts that have not made this choice will have filters automatically applied.
Sky previously provided a link for reporting incorrect categorisation from the blocked page, but this required a sky.com login to complete. Sky's head of policy, Adam Kinsley, said ISPs would eventually make it easier for site owners to report accidental blocks.
Sky now advertises a contact email address email@example.com for reporting categorisation issues.
- 2014-01-26 - code.jquery.com was categorised as "Phishing/Malware" inadvertently breaking many thousands of websites that are dependent on access to this domain to load the jQuery code.
|Pornography and Adult||X||X|
|Suicide and Self Harm||X||X|
|Weapons, Violence, Gore and Hate||X||X|
|Anonymizers, Filesharing and Hacking||X||X|
|Drugs and Criminal Skills||X||X|
|Phishing, Malware and Spyware||X||X||X|
- Sky's reply to ORG on default internet filters, ORG, 2013-11-15. "To ensure that only relevant websites are within these defined categories, we have worked with the technology firm Symantec."
- Internet Service Providers: Network level filtering measures, Ofcom, 2014-07-22 - page 4
- Ofcom Report on Internet safety measures - Internet Service Providers: Network level filtering measures
- Sky Broadband Shield has moved to "default on", Sky 2016-07-06
- Sky Broadband Shield – rolling out to all our customers, Sky, 2015-01-20
- Perry: ISP filter overblocking reports are "fanciful", PC Pro, 2014-01-29
- Contact us - Report miscategorised website
- Sky parental controls break jquery website, thinkbroadband, 2014-01-26