Richard Drax MP
Richard Drax, Conservative MP for South Dorset, Member of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee
Office: South Dorset Conservatives, Building C51, Winfrith Technology Centre, Dorset, DT2 8ZB Tel: 01305 851900 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2006 Richard Drax was selected as the Conservative parliamentary candidate for South Dorset. At the same time, he took over the family business and retired from the BBC.
Before pursuing a political career, Richard Drax was a soldier for nine years. He served across the world, including Germany, Cyprus, Kenya, Brunei, Hong Kong, the United States, London and three operational tours in Northern Ireland. On leaving the army, he studied land management for three years at the Royal Agricultural College, near Cirencester, before embarking on a career in journalism, which spanned 17 years.
Communications Data Surveillance
On his website Richard Drax expresses his disagreement for increased state surveillance:
- The continuing row over the Government’s new proposals to extend surveillance to internet users shows no sign of abating.
- This further encroachment on our civil liberties does not sit comfortably with me, or with several of my Conservative colleagues.
- And to add fuel to the flames, we denounced not dissimilar plans when in opposition.
- We need to know what has changed and why the State needs further access to our private lives.
- However, arrangements which currently cover only the telephone system would be extended to all calls, emails, texts and website visits. Internet providers would be required to keep details, though not content, for two years. These proposals are unsettling, but freedom has a price and as technology advances at frightening speed democratic governments must keep pace.
- Secret courts, though, are quite another matter!
Richard Drax MP Personal Website