Nick Herbert MP (Conservative) for Arundel & South Downs. Former Conservative Shadow Justice Secretary, then Minister of State for Police and Criminal Justice between May 2010 and September 2012.
Question asked Intercept Modernisation Programme 4 March 2012
- To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what progress her Department has made on the Intercept Modernisation Programme; and if she will make a statement.
Conservative Party press release Electoral Commission report is damning indictment of Labour's meddling in electoral process 23 October 2007
- Commenting further on the Electoral Commission report published today on the Scottish Elections, Shadow Justice Secretary Nick Herbert said:
- "This report is a damning indictment of Labour's meddling in the electoral process. Concerns that we voiced over voting changes being pushed through by Labour were brushed aside, with catastrophic consequences for the democratic process. There is now an urgent need for measures to protect the integrity of the ballot, including individual voter registration and a moratorium on e-voting experiments."
Nick Herbert told Reurers that the Electoral Commissions report was a 2 August 2007
- "damning indictment of Labour's interference with the electoral process"
- 2009-10-30 - Kable - Rural Payments Agency loses farmers' data
- Summary: A government agency lost two tapes holding encoded personal information on farmers earlier this year but only informed its minister this week. Nick Herbert told the Commons that the data loss was being announced because Farmers Weekly was about to publish the story, and asked why the loss had not been disclosed earlier
- 2008-08-24 - The Observer - Tories call for data loss prosecutions
- Author: Jamie Doward
- Summary: Following the Home Office's admission that a management consultancy, PA Consulting, had lost a computer memory stick containing details of all 84,000 prisoners in the prison system, the Conservatives said the government should make it a criminal offence for someone to 'knowingly or recklessly' cause the loss of data. 'Every time the government has lost data, ministers have promised a crackdown, but nothing has happened and a culture of complacency remains,' said shadow justice secretary Nick Herbert. 'It is time to send a clear and unambiguous signal to officials and agents who are entrusted with private data that it is no longer acceptable to take risks over how it is handled. Civil penalties will not do. The regrettable conclusion is that only the threat of a criminal sanction will change mindsets and jolt this government to ensure proper precautions in future.'
- 2007-08-02 - Reuters - Watchdog says "high risk" e-voting should be halted
- Author: Peter Griffiths
- Summary: Trials of Internet voting at elections should be halted until officials address serious concerns over costs and the risk of fraud, the election watchdog said on Thursday. ... Conservative Shadow Justice Secretary Nick Herbert said the report was a "damning indictment of Labour's interference with the electoral process"
- Nick Herbert MP Website
- twitter: nickherbertmp
- wikipedia: Nick Herbert
- Nick Herbert MP TheyWorkForyou.com
- Nick Herbert MP Conservative Profile
- Who are terrorists talking to? We must know, Nick Herbert, The Times, 2013-05-29
- When the facts don't fit your argument for snooping, just make them up, Big Brother Watch, 2013-05-29