NAT / PAT (Network Address Translation / Port Address Translation)
See: IP address matching proposals for proposed laws to enable authorities to identify specific machines from logs of NAT use.
A leaked document published by the Washington Post in October 2013 describes a GCHQ technique (Operation Mullenize) to incorporate an identifier into every packet sent by a machine to enable reconstruction of passively collected bulk traffic.
- wikipedia: Network address translation - Wikipedia
- Extending the requirements for traceability - Richard Clayton, 2010-01-12
- Practical mobile Internet access traceability - Richard Clayton, 2010-01-13
- Mobile Internet access data retention (not!) - Richard Clayton, 2010-01-14
- Syslog Format for NAT Logging - DRAFT submission to IETF for NAT/PAT logging