COMMISSION FOR COUNTERING EXTREMISM
“A commission for countering extremism will be established to support the Government in stamping out extremist ideology in all its forms, both across society and on the internet, so it is denied a safe space to spread.”
This Government is committed to identifying and stamping out extremism across society, promoting pluralistic British values and reducing tolerance of extremism. To support this we will be establishing a statutory Commission for Countering Extremism that will play a key role in supporting communities and the public sector to identify and confront extremism wherever it exists.
The Commission will:
- Identify examples of extremism and expose them;
- Help the Government to identify new policies to tackle extremism;
- Support the public sector and civil society in promoting and defending pluralistic values across all our communities.
- The manifesto included a commitment to establish a new Commission for Countering Extremism. This will complement the Government’s broader programme of work to tackle extremism in all its forms.
- The Government published its Counter-Extremism Strategy in October 2015.